Living Labs: Grimstad Lab 1 NIBIO
The CITYFOOD Living Lab, Grimstad Lab 1 NIBIO, is located in the province of Agder in the South-East of Norway, is an operating IACC system with production estimated to be 16 kg lettuce every week with a 6 to 8-week growth cycle to marketable size.
About the Lab
The working IAAC system at the NIBIO campus in Grimstad Lab 1 / Landvik will be used as a demonstration site for teachers and students to collaborate with low-risk prisoners at Arendal who can work outside the prison, to assist in the research and development of Grimstad Lab 2 in Arendal.
The Living Lab at NIBIO consists of the following components:
- Eight fish tanks with two different fish species: currently brown trout, bleke salmon and rainbow trout
- Two nursery beds for seedlings/ propagation (two small green squares)
- 12 plant beds in rafts (DWC=deep water culture)
- 20 m³ water volume of the whole system (total)
Fig. Configuration of the IAAC Living Labs (Photo: Skar, NIBIO).
Special research activities/ tasks for the Grimstad Lab 1 in NIBIO, Institute campus Grimstad/ Landvik Norway:
- Testing and investigating fish and plant species which are best suitable for Nordic conditions
- Teacher training as well as training of students/prisoners